Friday, January 6, 2012

Right path - Env'l Sociology to Architecture

I graduated last spring with a degree in environmental sociology from my area institution.  I was interested in what I was studying at the time, but I have come to wish that I had switched my path to architecture like I had considered doing a few years ago.  Env. Sociology would place me in agriculture-related environmental organizations, involve me in urban agriculture development, or push me to start a business relating to sustainable agriculture.  None of these appeal to me long-term as a career. I would prefer to focus my energy learning more about passive housing or some other kind of environmental design. My dream is to build (or be involved in building) structures that housed efficient permaculture-based urban farms.

I have considered going back to school to study architecture, but it seems a little foolish to go back and get a new B.S. at this age. I have a strong math and science background, so I would probably only need to take design and arch-specific courses. Would you recommend a M of Arch in my situation? I have thought about trying to intern with an architecture firm to make sure that I don't fantasize my way into paying more tuition, but I also feel that I am a little late in the game, and that it might be a better idea just to get started and bite my lip and bow out if I feel that it was a poor decision after a year or so.


Thanks for your advice!
________

First, congrats on your graduation last spring and your interest in architecture.

Given your degree, you are eligible to apply for the Master of Architecture (3-4 years).  To research architecture programs, visit NAAB - www.naab.org -- and ARCHSchools.org --  Both provide a list of accredited programs in architecture.

To determine if architecture is the correct path, consider attending a summer program designed for adults.  All would assist in your path and have you create work for a portfolio.


Berkeley
http://arch.ced.berkeley.edu/programs/summer

UCLA

http://www.summer.ucla.edu/institutes/Architecture/overview.htm

Los Angeles Institute Of Architecture And Design (more than a summer program)
http://www.laiad.com


You can certainly attempt to gain employment in a firm, but the marketplace is tough right now.  Consider attending lectures, reading journals or websites, and talking with architects (shadow).


Best!

No comments: