Thursday, January 12, 2012

GED to Community College to Architecture

I am eighteen years old and I truly admire you. I have been following your blog for two days and I am reading as much as I can from it and I believe you are the best person to ask my questions about architecture. You are formal and to take the time  to write your responses which I love. I have been looking for a person like you for weeks! I would ask a university admissions counselor, but you are experienced in the field and can help me with the questions I have for the life after university. 

I have a few. I hope it doesn’t bother you.

1)    Because of unfortunate events, I have to get my GED, but I intend to score as high as possible, does this look bad for an architect? 

2)    What classes should I take in community college to catch up on what I missed in high school? I believe you mentioned physics.

3)    I have made my decision to transfer to a four year university after community college. Do you recommend I take my community college’s architecture program or wait until I attend the four year university to start?

4)    Does going to one of the top schools of architecture really help for an architecture career, and how so?

5)    In general, is the life of an architect hard? I mean economically, personally, and work.

This is the big question I have .

Should I study interior architecture first and then get a Master’s in architecture? Both interest me a lot, but interior architecture interests me a bit more. I am really confused in what I should and shouldn’t do. I hope you can answer my questions. I would really appreciate it. 
________

Replies to your questions/comments are listed below:

1) The important aspect of your educational background is that you have what is necessary to move to the next level.  Having a GED allows you to move to the next level of education.

2) To best answer that question, contact the architecture programs to which you plan to apply and ask them.  Most architecture programs will require you to take calculus and physics.  Take mathematics courses until you are able to complete calculus.  Other courses to consider include general education - humanities, social sciences, composition, etc.


3) Again, be in touch with the architecture program to see if what architecture courses will transfer to their program.  In some cases, courses at a community college will not transfer.  Personally, I prefer students to transfer as soon as they are able given their circumstances.


4) I would not worry about attending a "top" architecture program and work to apply to the best school for YOU.  You must determine what is important to you in selecting a program.


5) I am not an architect so I cannot say from personal experience, but I would not say it is hard; it is challenging, but it is also rewarding.  If possible, try to meet with some architects and ask them the question.  Another source is to read the profiles in Becoming an Architect, 2nd Ed.

Interior Architecture - I would still suggest you obtain a Master of Architecture which will allow you to do interior design, but perhaps pursue your degree at an institution that also has interior design.  Visit CIDA for a list of accredited Interior Design Programs --
http://www.accredit-id.org/

Best in your path!

No comments: