Monday, January 16, 2012

GPA for Admission to MArch

I'm hoping to get into a three-year Master of Architecture for next spring.  I am about to graduate with a B.S. in a degree I didn't really like (geology) and as such didn't do too great.  I'll probably graduate with ~2.7 to 2.8.

I have heard from some that GPA isn't essential, so long as you have good recommendations and a decent portfolio. But I don't have any art teachers for recommendations, so they'd be just regular bosses and science teachers. If I had a good portfolio, could I get into a M. Arch program somewhere in New England?
__________


First and foremost, I encourage you to contact the architecture programs to which you are considering to apply and ask them what you can do to strengthen your application.

You state that your GPA is 2.7 - 2.8, but review your full transcript.  Some graduate programs only consider the GPA over the last 60 credits.  What is your last 60 credits GPA?  Why is your GPA 2.7 - 2.8?  Was it one or two bad courses early on?  Were they in your major?  Whatever the reason, I would briefly mention in the personal statement.  Take ownership of your academics and state that you they do not fully reflect your academic abilities.

Another way to improve your academics is to take courses as a non-degree student after graduation in architectural history, drawing, or other courses that will be helpful.  If you do so, be sure that you earn grades of A or B.  Of course, these additional courses will help in obtaining recommendations.

Best!

No comments: