Saturday, February 27, 2010

MArch in another Country

I graduated in May 2009 from a top-notch undergraduate program with a BA in Architecture. I'm taking a year or two off to polish my porfolio, take a break from the all-nighters, and travel a bit. I've been considering getting my MArch in another country, perhaps in Spain or Italy, mostly because the programs are less than a tenth of the price, and I'm worried about student loans and then earning very little for a few years as an intern.

Wit that said, how are over-the-seas MArch programs seen in the US? I know that the EESA-NAAB does allow you to then get lisenced in the US if you meet their requirements, but given that you meet the requirements, how do MArch's in top universities in the EU compare to the education that one receives getting an MArch in the States at a top program? Are the programs here in the US really that much better that it's worth spending the money? Would employers in the US still be interested in hiring me and consider me to be a valuable asset?

First, congrats for graduating with the BA in Architecture; I also applaud your decision to take time off to better prepare for your graduate studies.

As to your question, I truly do not know. My guess is that ultimately, potential employers will want to see your portfolio upon graduation from your Master of Architecture and not worry so much about where you went to school. Oddly enough, they may be more interested in you because of your international education especially if the firm does international work. You may also find that you decide to work internationally and your graduate studies would be an advantage.

Unfortunately, I cannot adequately address how international programs compare to those in the U.S. I can share that NAAB is working with their counterparts in many other countries. If you do study abroad, I would be sure that the program is well received in that country. For more details, refer to the following:

Dr. Architecture

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Architecture prerequisites

I am an IB student who would like to study architecture after I complete my IB diploma in 2011. I'm would like to know if Physics, Maths and Art are all core subjects required to srudy architecture, or if not all of those subjects are strictly required by all universities to study architecture.

Your feedback will be much appreciated.

I have no way of knowing for certain, but I would suggest that all architecture programs require mathematices, probably calculus. I would also imagine that most would require physics. Many many not actually require art as you may think of it, but will certainly require courses in graphics, visual representation and the like.

Dr. Architecture

Monday, February 8, 2010

Structural Engineering to Architecture

I'm a freshmen at the University of California: San Diego. My major is Structural engineering but I would like to be an architect. What kind of courses would I have to take in order to pursue a degree in architecture.

Your desire is to become an architect, but do you plan to continue in your studies in structural engineering as an undergraduate or do you plan to transfer to an architecture program?

If you continue in engineering, you should be set to eventually pursue a graduate program in architecture - Master of Architecture with regards to mathematics and physics, but consider taking art or freehand drawing courses.

To consider transferring, contact either of the two programs in San Diego, CA to learn more about an architecture curriculum --

Woodbury University
School of Architecture

NewSchool of Architecture and Design

Dr. Architecture

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Degree Equivalency

I am from Colombia- South America where I received my Degree in Architecture. I have worked in the USA as a draftsman for the past 5 years because I haven't validated my degree. Can you please let me know the steps and requirements to validate my
degree in the USA.

Assuming that you wish to become a licensed architect, the place to start is the following:

EESA-NCARB Evaluation Services for Architects

NAAB administers the EESA-NCARB program, which evaluates the credentials of foreign educated and broadly experienced architects against the NCARB Education Standard. EESA-NCARB provides assistance to individuals who do not have a professional degree in architecture from an NAAB-accredited school of architecture and who wish to either apply for NCARB certification or for registration by an NCARB member board.

Dr. Architecture