Saturday, October 24, 2009

Undergraduate Degrees

I am currently a high school senior in California. My question is what type of undergraduate architecture program should I look for in a college if I have not had much of exposure to architecture programs?

To become an architect, you need to accomplish three tasks - 1) obtain a professional NAAB accredited degree, 2) complete IDP, and 3) pass the ARE. The website - - outlines these tasks in more detail, but I will outline the degrees below:

There are three accredited degrees - Bachelor of Architecture, Master of Architecture, and Doctor of Architecture. As you are coming from high school, you may consider either a five Bachelor of Architecture or pursue a four year pre-professional undergraduate degree (BS in Architecture or equivalent) and afterwards pursue the Master of Architecture.

Either of the two paths are viable but you must determine which is a better fit for you. I suggest you research and contact schools by visiting the following:

Dr. Architecture