Sunday, June 30, 2013

Military to Architecture

Good afternoon air I am currently in the United States Marine Corps, I am about to get out and want to go to college and become an architect. I was wondering what would be the best way to do this. What college to go to and what classes to take.

Thank you or your time I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

________________

Congrats on your interest in pursuing architecture as a career field.

First, I would suggest you read previous posts on the blog - http://archcareers.blogspot.com --.  Next, I would obtain a copy of Becoming an Architect, 2nd ed. as it outlines the entire process of becoming an architect.

To become an architect, you need to accomplish three tasks 1) education - NAAB accredited professional degree in architecture,; 2) experience - complete the requirements of IDP; and 3) exam - pass the ARE.

As there are over 125 programs in architecture, I make it a point not to recommend one over another; it is your job to research the programs to determine which is the best fit for you.  Typically, you will have courses in studio, technology, structures, construction, and general education courses but it varies from program to program.

I wish you the best and do contact me again if you have any questions.

No comments: