Saturday, June 17, 2017

French and English to Architecture

I hope that all is well by you!  I am hoping to pursue a Master of Architecture, though I have little academic experience in the field.  I have a Bachelor of Arts in French and English from Amherst College and a few years of experience in communications, one of which was spearheading the marketing department of a small residential design firm in San Francisco.  
 
I am wondering, are there any reputable programs you could recommend that are receptive to students pivoting from another kind of career?  I, unfortunately, do not have many college-level math or art classes to my name, though I am happy to enroll in a few this fall if need be. I am most interested in sustainable design and institutional projects.

Any advice you have is much appreciated!
________
 
Thanks for reaching out to me.  First, I will suggest you obtain a copy of Becoming an Architect as it will answer this question and others as you become an architect.

Becoming an Architect: A Guide to Careers in Design - 3rd Edition
http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-1118612132.html

The two best sources for potential colleges for studying architecture are the following:

NAAB National Architectural Accrediting Board
http://www.naab.org/architecture-programs/school-search/

To become an architect, you will need to accomplish three tasks - 1) education), 2) experience, and 3) examination.  For education, he will need to complete the a professional degree in architecture that is accredited by NAAB.
There are three degrees - 1) Bachelor of Architecture (5 years), 2) Master of Architecture following a pre-professional degree (BS or BA in Architecture) (6 years) and 3) Doctor of Architecture (Univ of Hawaii - 7 years). 
As you have a BA degree, you may pursue the Master of Architecture (a variation of #2) for those that have a degree in another discipline.  I cannot say for certain, but there are at least 50-60 programs -- see either of the websites listed above.  I typically do not recommend programs because there are so many variables, but would be glad to touch base after you have developed a list.
Depending on the program to which you apply, you may need to have calculus as a prerequisite; as well, you may wish to take ART classes to help you develop your portfolio.

Plus, I would be MORE than pleased to answer additional questions as needed.
Also, I would suggest you pursue a summer program -- this summer if possible.  Each year, I compile a list of the programs. 

http://archcareers.blogspot.com/2017/02/summer-programs-in-architecture-2017.html
Again, stay in touch.

No comments: