Friday, November 30, 2012

Civil engineering and Architecture


I came across your blog today and decided to send you an e-mail in order to describe my situation and seek your guidance. I have been studying civil engineering for 5 years and I' m just about to get my degree, so I'm currenlty looking into postgrads in Europe. I find myself seeking an architectural extention to my studies, since I am quite creative and environmentally sensitive and have always been a great admirer of architecture. I came across sustainable design and it seems like the right thing for me, since it doesn' t require having necessarily majored in architecture. However, i realised that if i make the said choice, i would like to direct myself towards sustainable design and construction in third world countries. I was wondering what my options are as a career path and also whether i can actually do that as a combination of my major and the postgrad. Furthermore, I would appreciate it if you could point me towards other masters combining civil engineering and architecture. Please help me make the right choice! I am looking forward to receiving your reply and i thank you in advance for your time.
_______________

First, I must share that my expertise is in "becoming an architect" in the U.S. and not Europe, but I will share what I can.

Given that you are pursuing a degree in civil engineering (an unrelated degree), you would be eligible to apply to a Master of Architecture (3-4 years) in the U.S.  Visit - www.naab.org - for a list of accredited programs.

Also, with your interest in sustainability, you will find many programs have that emphasis but all must address it as it is a performance standard for accreditation.

In terms of third world countries, I would suggest the following: 









Architecture for Humanity - http://architectureforhumanity.org
Global Architecture Brigades - http://www.globalbrigades.org
Architects without Borders - http://www.architectswithoutborders.com

As for joint degrees for civil and architecture, I can only suggest the previous NAAB website and search for those that also have civil.  I am aware of on program at the University of Illinos.

Best.

No comments: