Monday, August 13, 2012

Architectural Engineering

I'm a rising senior in high school and i'm very interested in pursuing a career in either Architecture, Civil Engineering or Architectural Engineering. During the summer, i attended a summer program at MIT called MITES where i had the chance to take an Architecture class for 6 consecutive weeks. I got to say that i loved the class but it also made doubt my plans. I always thought i wanted to major in Civil Engineering mostly because my father is a Civil Engineer and i loved watching his work. As i grew older, i discovered that i also love art and the complexity of designing ( even though i am not the best on that field ). So, after a lot of research, i came across a career called Architectural Engineering which i understood mixes the best of both Architecture and Engineering. 

In the next few months, i need to start applying to colleges. Unfortunately, Architectural Engineering is only offered in few places and that only makes me question if it is actually a good decision for me to follow that major. My family is constantly asking me about the minimal income for those engineers but i cant answer because i don't know. I've asked for advice to people that know about the topic, but no one seems to give me a complete answer. I hope that your background will let you answer me with as much honesty as possible. I'm looking forward for your response.
_______________
 
My expertise is on becoming an architect.  If you search the ARCHCareers blog - http://archcareers.blogspot.com/ - you will see a plethora of questions and answers related to becoming an architect.

From my understanding of Architectural Engineering is NOT a mix of architecture and engineering, but rather it is engineering with a focus on the engineering aspects of building.  Refer to the website below.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Architectural_engineering

If there are not enough programs in architectural engineering, you can always consider civil engineering on a campus that you would also be able to pursue a minor in architecture -- like Illinois.


As you are MA, consider attending the Boston Career Day on Sat., October 27 on the campus of Wentworth Inst. of Technology -- see the following for details -- http://www.architects.org/programs-and-events/architecturedesign-college-fair.
 
Best! 

No comments: