Sunday, July 15, 2012

Civil Engineer and Architect

I am currently pursuing my bachelors in civil engineering in a highly reputed institute in India.I am basically interested in designing and the architectural aspects.  I initially misunderstood that civil is very closely related to architecture but later on, found that designing is mainly done by architects. However, I am ready to acquire knowledge on architectural ideas while still studying civil.  I want to merge architecture and civil and incorporate creative architectural ideas in my civil projects.I'd like to know your view on this thought of mine and I'd be really happy if you could suggest me what books or what topics i should study so as to hone this architectural skill. I am passionate about architecture and am happy to learn it side by side.
___________

As you continue with your pursuit of an undergraduate degree in civil engineering, try to expand your architectural knowledge by sketching, reading, and "seeing."  The most important skill of an architect is his/her ability to see.

If you truly wish to pursue both engineering and architecture, consider pursing a joint degree in both at the graduate level.  While I do not know if you can do so in India, there are a few institutions in the U.S. that offer such a joint degree including the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.


I would also suggest you look at the work of
Santiago Calatrava. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santiago_Calatrava - he is part engineer/part architect.  Perhaps, you can obtain some inspiration from him.

Best.


No comments: