Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Becoming an Architect

I am hoping you can give me some advice, I have worked as a Quantity Surveyor/Cost Manager in the UK for the last 5 years, I also have studied and attained an MA(Hons) in Business and Management and an MSc in Quantity Surveying and Commercial Management.

I am very interested in living in the USA and also I am considering a career change to architecture.

I was hoping you might be able to advise me on the best route to studying and becoming an Architect in USA and likely timescales given my experience and existing qualifications in Construction.

Another point to mention is that I am considering part-time studying as an option to allow me to maintain an income during my studies.

Thanks in advance for your help.
_________

The process of becoming an architect requires three accomplishments - 1) education, 2) experience, and 3) examination. To best learn this process, I refer you to ARCHCareers.org and the book, Becoming an Architect, 2nd Edition.

Because of your previous degrees, you may pursue the Master of Architecture (3-4 years). Upon graduation, you would need to work for an architect for approximately three (3) years through Intern Development Program (IDP). Once you have met the education and experience requirements, you may take the Architect Registration Examination (ARE).

The time it will take may vary, but should be about 7-9 years.

Finally, you may find it difficult to study part-time as most architecture programs require full-time study. To research programs, visit either -- www.naab.org or www.archschools.org --.

Dr. Architecture

No comments: