Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Community College to Architecture


I am going into my third year of community college. After changing my major twice, I just found out that I want to become an architect. However I'm not really sure how to start out? I realize I'm a little bit behind as far as obtaining a degree is concerned so I'm really looking forward to progressing quickly through my classes and catching up. Are there any suggestions such as classes or programs I should be taking to sort of jump start my career? I hope to hear back from you soon and thanks for the help.


Gateway Community College / SmithGroup JJR
____________

Congratulations on your decision to study architecture.  You may think you are behind, but you have plenty of time to complete the degree.

The best place to start is to first learn how to become an architect with its 1) education, 2) experience, and 3) exam.  The best sources to learn this is -- http://www.archcareers.org -- or the book, Becoming an Architect, 2nd ed.

From there, determine potential architecture programs (schools) that you wish to attend and contact them to determine what courses would be needed for transfer.  In many cases, you may need calculus and physics prior to admission.

For a list of programs, review both http://www.naab.org and http://archschools.org --

Aside from academic preparation, consider shadowing an architect in an office to learn more about the profession.  Keep a sketchbook - draw for 30 minutes everyday of the world around you.  Eventually, you will connect your brain (creativity) with your eye (seeing) and your hand.

Send me more questions as you have them.

Best.

No comments: