Saturday, July 13, 2013

Becoming licensed across borders.

Dear Dr. Architect,

I came across your blog while researching M. Arch programs in US, UK and EU. I am currently a B.Arch. student from India and will receive my National Architecture license from the Council of Architecture, India soon after graduation.

I would like to work as an architect in the countries mentioned above and it would be really helpful if you could provide me some information on the licensing and education requirements for international graduates to find work there.  Also how long would it take before I can start work there? 

P.S : There are a number of ‘Star-architects’ who design projects across the globe. How do they get approved to work if they are licensed only in their native countries?  

For information on licensing within the U.S., the best source is NCARB - National Council for Architectural Registration Boards -

As your degree is from India, you will need to follow EESA to have your education evaluated; of course, if you pursue the Master of Architecture (NAAB) accredited, you will meet the education standard.


As for U.K., I suggest you be in touch with RIBA.


As for the EU, I am not sure, but I am pretty sure that each country has its own requirements.

P.S. Question - Architects who are not licensed in a particular country or jurisdiction partner with a local architect of record who is licensed in the local jurisdiction.


No comments: