Saturday, February 12, 2011

From Anthropology to Architecture

I just graduated in May 2010 with a bachelor's degree in anthropology (I also minored in French and studio art), and have recently been thinking more seriously about architecture as a career, specifically in green roof technology/architecture.  I also worked for a very small architectural firm in DC during my senior year of college, although at that point, I wasn't really interested in pursing architecture.  

In fact, I was planning to go to law school, but my decision keeps wavering on that.  I think if I knew a little more precisely what steps I'd have to take to pursue a career in architecture, then it would help me make a final decision.  Given that my bachelor's is completely unrelated to architecture, will it be difficult in terms of grad school?  Will I have to basically start over again and get a bachelor's in architecture or take a bunch of required courses for grad programs (rather than going to grad school directly)?  Because I was able to test out of them in high school, I have no math or hard science credits from college.  Do you think architecture is still a viable option for me at this point?  

Do you also have recommendations for schools or programs that specialize in green roof architecture?  

Thank you so much for your help - I'm so glad I found your blog!
_______

I am pleased as well that you discovered the ARCHCareers.org blog; allow me to encourage you to also obtain Becoming an Architect, 2nd Edition, a book on the topic that will answer all of your questions.

Given your undergraduate degree, you may apply directly to the Master of Architecture (3-4 years); this degree is targeted for individuals like you that have a degree in another discipline.  You will NOT have to start over.  Many of these program do have prerequisites - calculus, physics, drawing -- you will simply need to contact programs directly.  Do you have AP credit from high school for mathematics?


Your minor in studio art will be helpful as you will need to submit a portfolio as part of your application.  Again, check with architecture programs as to the requirements for the portfolio.


To research programs, visit NAAB - www.naab.org or ARCHSchools.org.  ARCHSchools.org has the ability to search based on key words, including sustainability.

Feel free to contact me if you have future questions.

No comments: