Friday, January 20, 2012

I've just read through your website and firstly, I would like to thank you for all the information you brought to my attention.

Now let me shed light on my situation:

I'm currently a high school student and recently architecture has been "calling" to me. Luckily, I live close to one of the top graduate schools of the nation. However, it's 4 year undergraduate architecture program only results in a Bachelor of Science in Architecture. Now, my state requires a NAAB accredited education for registration for the ARE, but I have a question. I've done a lot of research and cannot seem to find a conclusive answer and hope you can shed light on the situation for me.

If I acquire a Bachelor of Science in Architecture, then reside in a state that accepts a non-NAAB accredited education for the ARE, upon completion, can I move out of state to one that requires a NAAB accredited education and be recognized as a licensed architect or am I required to live in a state that recognizes a Bachelor of Science in Architecture as worthy?

Also, I have one more question. I cannot afford the graduate college immediately after undergraduate. If I were to complete my internship and return to complete a masters degree, would my previous internship suffice, or would I need to complete my three years after my highest level of education?

Any information you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Rather than directly answer your question, let me help you understand the process of becoming an architect in a different way.

First, the process of becoming an architect requires the completion of three tasks - 1) completion of an NAAB accredited professional degree in architecture; 2) completion of Intern Development Program (IDP) - experience under the supervision of a licensed architect; and 3) passing the 7-part Architect Registration Examination (ARE).  With that said, very few states allow only a preprofessional degree (as you mention), but it limits your career options later.

The above
requirements vary from state-to-state, but almost all require the three tasks as outlined above.

When you have completed the three tasks you will be a licensed architect in the state or jurisdiction in which you applied to be an architect.  If you move to another state, you may not practice as an architect because the licensing of an architect is by state.

However, you can gain
NCARB certification which will facilitate your becoming an architect in a new state or jurisdiction.

As for your last question -- first, there is actually more financial aid at the graduate level; almost all programs provide fellowships, assistantships and scholarships.  You certainly could work between your undergraduate and graduate degrees, but some states do require experience after your graduate degree.

I hope this all helps; do contact me if you have any additional questions.

Dr. Architecture 

No comments: