Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Career Change - Business to Architecture


I am looking to make a career change as I'm not satisfied with the past positions I've had as an executive assistant and customer service positions. I graduated four years ago with a degree in Business, Marketing emphasis, however, marketing, isn't the field I want to pursue. The more I think about it, the more I would like to go into drafting & design or architecture. My favorite part of my last job was space planning in AutoCAD for commerical office space. The main focus was laying out furniture and cubicles and removable walls, with some time spent removing/adding hard wall, electrical, plumbing, mechanical systems while maintaining the structural integrity.
I've been looking at drafting and design programs vs. architecture programs and don't know which might be best for me. Ideally, I'd like to go further into space planning, restaurant and store design and don't know if a full architecture program would be necessary.
Do you think I could find the opportunities desired by getting a second degree in drafting and design and not becoming a licensed architect? Could I still work as a drafter at an architecture firm without being licensed?
I do have some money in savings so I'm not terribly worried about the financial aspect because I do have a part time job as well, but I don't want to use up all that I have if I can help it.
__________

From what you have shared, I do not think you would be content with just a drafting and design program because you will be implementing the ideas of others and not your own.  Thus, I would suggest you pursue an NAAB accredited Master of Architecture degree.

With that said, you may wish to pursue drafting and design courses to develop an entry level set of skills to make the transition to architecture or related field - interior design.

You could certainly work within an architecture without being licensed, but you will not be satisfied in the long term.  Start by contacting the programs in your region (http://www.naab.org).  Visit the program to explore the process.

Also, consider obtaining the book, Becoming an Architect, 2nd ed.

Best. 

No comments: