Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Transfer Questions

Dr. Architecture, first let me say your blog is very informative. 
 
Thank you for taking the time to answer questions for those of us who are clueless. I am in need of some advice. I am currently a first semester freshman at a local public research university. I am strongly considering transferring to a different university next fall to study architecture. My problem is that I have absolutely no art or design background, though I do have a strong musical background and am well acquainted with the creative process. 
 
My grades are excellent (I already have 9 hours worth of credit from dual enrollment classes I took in high school, and I have High A's in all my classes this semester so far. I expect to maintain my 4.0 gpa), but all of my credit hours are just general education. I am very driven, and I know I will do well wherever I go, but I really have no idea If this is a feasible plan, or what to take next semester. I still have some general education classes I could take, but I don't know what sort of classes are necessary to have already taken in order to transfer into an architecture program. 
 
I guess my question is, what are the steps I need to take in order to make a successful transition into an Architecture program? Thank you for taking the time to help me out.
_________ 

Thanks for your compliment!

As one who works within a School of Architecture at a Big Ten Research I University, I would not worry too much about your lack of art or design background.  Research the programs to which you wish to transfer but many may not require a portfolio.  Our program is a 4 + 2 which has almost all general education courses (liberal arts) in the first year and one required architecture course.

The best way to determine what to take next semester is to contact the respective programs to which you are applying.  Have you done Calculus and Physics?  Can you take art/freehand drawing courses at your current school?  Are there more general education courses that you can take?


Granted, you may NOT be wish to transfer to a five-year BArch program because you would be behind, but I know of many 4 + 2 MArch programs that would be just fine for you.


To successfully transfer, you need to contact and talk with the architecture programs directly.  Review what they have their first year students (freshmen) take and parallel it.  Talk with an academic advisor in the architecture program and the Office of Admissions. 

Keep in touch.  Best.

No comments: