Friday, May 20, 2011

Pre-professional vs. Professional degree

I am currently a senior and have a question regarding the degrees I have to take in the future. I would want to not only design buildings, but be able to design a bit of outdoor as well.  I am unsure whether to select a pre-professional and professional degrees.  I should take and what types? Advice would be really appreciated!
In order to become an architect, you need to accomplish three tasks - 1) education, 2) experience, and 3) examination. 

With regards to education, almost all states (jurisdictions) require a professional architecture degree accredited by NAAB (  The professional degree can be either the Bachelor of Architecture or the Master of Architecture; in addition, many architecture programs offer a pre-professional degree typically a Bachelor of Science in Architectural Studies (BSAS). 

A pre-professional degree is needed to pursue the professional Master of Architecture degree.

Coming from high school, you would enter either the five-year Bachelor of Architecture or the pre-professional BSAS.  Another option would be to pursue a degree in any discipline and pursue the Master of Architecture at the graduate level.

To learn more, visit NAAB,, and consider obtaining Becoming an Architect, 2nd Edition.

Dr. Architecture

No comments: