Sunday, May 22, 2011

Beginning Education

I am very interested in an architectural career. I took a few drafting class in high school and realized I fancied the freedom of design and creation. I am now graduated and currently serving on active duty in the Marine Corps in Afghanistan. I am still interested in a career in architecture just not sure where to start.  I  plan on being in the Marine Corps for the next 7 ½ years. What is available online that would get me in the right direction for a accredited degree at a physical college after I get out of the Marine Corps?
_________

I am pleased to hear of your interest in architecture.

In its simplest terms, you need to accomplish three tasks - 1) obtain professional accredited degree in architecture, 2) fulfill the requirements of Intern Development Program (IDP), and 3) pass the Architect Registration Examination (ARE).

Unfortunately, there are no architecture programs online, but most require general education requirements (humanities, mathematics, physics, social sciences, etc.) that you might be able to do via online.  In addition, to the extent that you schedule allows, draw (freehand) everyday.  Also, visit websites related to architecture and "see."


Consider obtaining
Becoming an Architect, 2nd Edition, a book that outlines the process.

I hope this helps; let me know if you have additional questions.

Dr. Architecture

No comments: