Sunday, April 3, 2011

Portfolios via Cloud Computing.

Consider me a helicopter parent, and I suppose I will have to claim the title.  At any rate, my son, who graduated in May with a BArch, wants to apply to a firm that apparently wants to access his portfolio through what I guess must be cloud computing.  If I'm sounding stupid, it's because in this regard, I am.  So does he have to pay for some sort of service to upload his portfolio?  And in such case, would his portfolio be protected, or would anyone have access to it and could therefore pirate his materials?  He is so frustrated, so his helicopter mother is trying to keep him on track, but I need your help.
 
Thanks very much for any assistance you can provide.
_______

I may have to claim ignorance on this one as well, but I will give it a shot.

Many architecture students and graduates post their portfolios via websites of their own making or websites designed for such purposes.  One such website is the following:
Issuu is the leading digital publishing platform delivering exceptional reading experiences of magazines, catalogs, and newspapers.
 
From my understanding, these websites are free to use for basic access, but there may be a fee for more advanced levels.  As firms do not want to have large digital files from candidates, they request the candidates digital portfolio online - or cloud computing.  In most instances, these files are NOT protected - meaning that anyone can access them.  A suggestion might be to NOT list your full mailing address but just email.

In all cases, he should be in touch with the firm as to how to best apply for a position.


I hope this helps!  If he is frustrated with a helicopter mom, tell him to contact me directly.
 
Dr. Architecture

1 comment:

Computing in the Cloud said...

What you may not have thought about is that every one of these consumer application cloud services uses network cloud services. In fact, the word “cloud” comes from the fact that many years ago those of us who built and sold client server applications, software and hardware used to draw a picture with the PC connected to a network and the network connected to a server. Since none of us actually understood how the network worked, we drew a cloud and labeled it “network” and left it at that. In those days companies built their own networks, but today consumers and businesses use network cloud services delivered by companies like AT&T, Verizon, Masergy and Sprint.