Sunday, April 3, 2011

Considering a MArch Program

I am 28 years old and am seriously considering dropping everything and following my dream of becoming an architect. My question to you concerns the competitiveness of MArch degree programs: Is it impossible to get into a relatively good MArch program with no Architectural background?? I have a BA in Geography and am currently enrolled in a MA program for International Development in Washington DC. I have always loved architecture--it is the one thing that truly excites me. I am quite artistic and have a collection of sculptures that I've made over the years--mostly from different metals, but also wood. I also enjoy drawing and painting and have been a substitute art teacher at my old high school. A few more questions:

-Would it be feasible to work part-time while pursuing a MArch degree?
-What sort of material should a candidate with no architecture background include in their portfolio?

Thank you for your help!
________

As you can imagine, gaining admission to a Master of Architecture is typically competitive, but as you have a background other than architecture, you will be judged accordingly. 

As you will find, most MArch programs require full-time study; perhaps, in the upper years of the program, you may be able to work part-time but you will want to concentrate your time on studies.


As for your portfolio, first ask the programs to which you are applying; next, include creative work - drawing, sculpture, etc.  Consider reviewing
www.portfoliodesign.com for ideas on presenting your work.  Given what you state, you should have no problems doing your portfolio.

As you are in DC, consider visiting Catholic University and University of Maryland.

No comments: