Thursday, September 30, 2010

NAAB Accredited MArch or Not?

I just recently discovered your blog and was hoping that you would be able to help me out.

I have a BS in Architecture which in not an accredited degree ( something I did not know until close to graduation) and I have been working in the field for the last 5 years or so. My IDP is complete and I've started taking my licensure exams. I am testing for the state of California which does not currently require my education to be NAAB approved if I have enough work experience. Because of the economy and my own interests I am looking at going back to grad school however I am 28 and don't want to go back to school for another 3 years. There are one year programs that I am looking at that are also not accredited but are more specific to my interests. For example UCLA's M Arch II program.

I am wondering if it is unwise to consider going back for another unaccredited degree even though CA. doesn't specifically care about that and I can get licensed without it. I'm not totally sure how picky firms are when it comes to the details of a degree as well. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

First, congratuations on your undergraduate degree and work in the profession; I am sorry that you were not aware that your BS degree was not an accredited degree.

To directly address you question - I offer the following: whether you decide to pursue a post-professional degree (MS in Architecture) depends on whether you wish to ever become licensed in a state or jurisdiction that requires an accredited degree (most states). If you intend to stay and practice exclusively in California, pursuing such a degree may be a good choice.

With that said, I would still suggest you pursue the accredited Master of Architecture. I say this because not only does the degree provide you options in terms of licensure but also because you would benefit from such a degree. In addition, many institutions require a professional Master of Architecture to be able to pursue the post-professional degree.

Thus, decide based on your future career goals with regards to being licensed.

I hope this helps! Do contact me again if you have any further questions.

Dr. Architecture

1 comment:

Loretto said...

Hi, i am so glad i found this question. I am dominican and recently dating an american. She lives here in the Dominican Republic but we are planing on going to grad school together in the states. I am an architect in my country and i am also working on becoming an AIA member. Ive been looking at a few GRADUATE DEGREES at the university of Texas but the thing is i know i cant be a licensed architect unless i do the Master of Architecture (first professional) “M.Arch. I” but it takes 3 years and it would be like studying architecture again! i am more interested of this program: Master of Architecture (post-professional) “M.Arch. II” which offers new things. Besides I've already been working as an architect, project manager and designer for 6 years. So my question is, if i would like to stay in the United States (lets say we get married and that is what she/we wants to do, can I get a job in the construction field or architectural field if i am not licensed? Thank you.