Thursday, September 23, 2010

Historical Architecture

I am considering a degree in Historical Architecture or Historical preservation. I last studied in London on a study abroad program but due to some issues with the Community College I went through to study abroad I am currently not enrolled in college. I was working on a degree in history and am currently lacking three classes towards my associates. My GPA reflected on my official transcript does not reflect my London grades (although the grades themselves are shown on the transcript) and therefore my current GPA is low and inaccurate. Due to the low GPA I don't know if I can get in to a major university to continue my studies and therefore am trying to figure out what my options are at this time.

While I was studying abroad I took a class in English Palaces and Country homes and really enjoyed it. I am considering switching my major. Since I've been having such a difficult time with my grades and the school I have been attending, I was thinking about basically starting over on my schooling and going towards a bachelors degree in Art History then moving onto a Masters in Historical Preservation/Historical Architecture. I was just wondering if this is the right path for me to pursue or if there was a bachelor's degree you would suggest that would be better than art history to help me go on to my Masters in Preservation.

My long term goal is to go back to England and help their national trust with the preservation of the country homes and old churches.

Any suggestions you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

________

It is truly hard to determine if the path of historic preservation/historical architecture is the right path for you based on just your comments below, but I outline the steps to help you.

Separate from the difficulties with your issues with the community college, I would suggest you follow your heart. First, do some assessment to confirm your interest in historic preservation. Read up on the topic, talk with professionals in the field, etc. Continue to explore the discipline including research programs; visit the following -- http://www.ncpe.us/chart.html -- to learn about degree programs at both undergraduate and graduate levels.

Once you have do some assessment and explored, you can better make an informed decision on if this path is right for you. When the decision is made, you can make plans to meet your goal.

Although you are not in school now, see if you can still use their Career Center to research the field or meet with a career counselor. All of these steps can help you in your path.

Dr. Architecture

No comments: