Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Pursuing a Career in Architecture - Age Limit?

I am an undergraduate student who will be graduating in May 2010 with a Bachelor's of Business Administration Degree. I have always wanted to pursue a career in Architecture and am considering earning a MARCH degree. Is there an age limit on who old you must be to start a career in Architecture? I am 27 years old and would be in my early 30's by the time that I would earn my Masters in Architecture. I would like to start working in this industry sooner than later and also wanted to know if there was anything I could do to get my foot in the door with my current business experience.

Lastly, I live in Texas and have noticed that there are not a lot of schools that offer the MARCH degree. Would it be better for me to relocate in order to earn this degree and get by career started as well? Thank you for your time and assistance.

An Inquiring Student
______________

There is certainly no age limit when you must start in architecture. While there are certainly a number of individuals that pursue an architectural education from high school, there are also a number that do not pursue architecture until later in there life. Philip Johnson, one of the most well-known architects in the 20th century, became an architect at age 39 and practiced until he passed away at age 93.

With your business degree, I would suggest you focus your efforts on pursuing the Master of Architecture for those that have an undergraduate degree in another discipline. You may certainly approach architecture firms about possibly employment, but your skill set may be limiting.

You must decide on which program is best for you be it in Texas or elsewhere. Consider -- www.naab.org -- and -- www.archschools.org --.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very heartening to hear that Architecture course has no age limit.
Students are exposed to the artistic and visionary world.And of course technology acts as a cherry on a cake!
Thanks
--------
architecture program