Thursday, November 19, 2009

Course in Preparation for MArch

I suppose I'm a fairly unfamiliar case of someone in his mid 20s who thinks he now wants to become an architect. I could go on at length on why this makes sense to me now, at this point in my life, but I'll keep it short.

I have little to no experience in architecture or design. I have a BA in Religion from a small liberal arts college in PA. I took a freshmen year "architecture and nature" course (earmarked for a general curriculum credit) and an intro to drawing class my senior year. In July next year, I will receive my MA in Global & International Studies from UC Santa Barbara, which is code for international non-profit management.

My goal is to work next year as a teacher somewhere and save up my money. If I were to go back to school for a MArch (3 years approx., correct?), then it wouldn't be before Fall 2011, and even then it might only be part-time.

So here's my question...

While I have the chance to take electives at a big university before getting the degree next July, what sort of courses should I take that would help me out later down the road in architecture school? Are there specific courses that I could take now that might free me up from taking them as a first-year architecture student? In college, I have taken math up to Calc II, and no physics.
_________

It is doubtful that you would be able to take courses now that would be accepted as coursework typically taken during the first year of a Master of Architecture. To be sure, you should contact the programs to which you plan to apply.

However, aside from the mathematics and physics, many programs require prerequisites in freehand drawing and/or architectural history. Again, check with the programs for exact requirements. The best courses are those that will generate materials for your the portfolio that you will need to submit as part of your application. To that end, courses in drawing, sculpture, photography, art, etc. Any course that will connect your brain, eye and hand.

For ideas on portfolios, visit -- www.portfoliodesign.com --

Dr. Architecture

1 comment:

teaching said...

I believe architecture is a really nice course but it also depends on the way your profs are teaching.