Sunday, September 2, 2012

Career Switch - Medicine to Architecture

I am a final year medical student from Malaysia. I have been seriously considering switching my career path, which means to start from scratch all over again.

I have researched a little regarding architecture and I am amazed by its diversity and potentials. However it means a no turning back for me once the decision is made. For your information, financial support is on top of my urgent need. I would be glad if you could provide me with some information.

Thank you for your help.
____________

First, my expertise is in becoming an architect in the U.S. not Malaysia.

I am pleased to learn that you are considering a switch, but as you outline, the process of becoming an architect is both challenging and not so short.  In the U.S., an individual needs an accredited degree (3-4 years for one with a college degree), internship (3-5 years) and pass the ARE (1-3 years). 

ARCHCareers
http://www.archcareers.org

Other than researching the profession, I would suggest you meet with an architect to learn more about the discipline first hand.  You may also wish to visit an architecture school before making this decision.

That is a start.  Best.

No comments: