Saturday, June 25, 2011

Coming to work in the U.S.

I'm a young Portuguese architect that is trying to relocate to the U.S to find a job opportunity in architecture. I got my master degree in 2009, done my full year internship in Portugal and I am now member of the Portuguese Architects Institute and so far made a few works, including got short listed for an exhibit in the Lisbon Architecture Triennale on a competition project.

I was planing to live abroad for a few years to develop my architecture and open my way of thinking and for that reason the U.S and his difference in many aspects in architecture compared to Europe is my first choice.

This is the reason why I'm sending this email to you, to find some help in finding places to work in the U.S, and to know what should be the best approach to the employers.

I'll be looking forward to hear from you.
_________
 
Congrats on your recent degree and becoming a member of the Portuguese Architects Institute.

I appreciate your desire to work in the U.S., but do realize that the job market for architects is a very difficult one now.  You will need to be very proactive and diligent in your search.

There are many sources for researching firms and possible opportunities, but a good place to start would be the American Institute of Architects, both the national association and the local components around the country.

http://www.aia.org/
http://careercenter.aia.org/search.cfm
http://www.aia.org/about/structure/components/AIAS078541

Most of the AIA components (listed above) have job boards as well as a list of firms in their locale.  You can research firms and contact them accordingly.

Here are a few others.
Architect Search
...founded in 1998, this executive recruiting firm specializes in placing architects across the US. You can review many positions they are working to fill or merely submit a resume for consideration in future searches.
Architect Job Source
...free site with links to architectural firms throughout the US. Select your state then city to see the list, which will connect you to the firm's website for review of jobs and submission of applications. Washington DC is listed under Virginia. Yes, I sent the owner a note about that.
Archinect
...developed in 1997 by Paul Petrunia, "the goal of Archinect is to make architecture more connected and open-minded, and bring together designers from around the world to introduce new ideas from all disciplines." The Jobs board has listings for architects, interns, model makers, systems managers, and others needed by architecture, construction, and design firms.
In terms of approaching employers, there are many resources on job searching in books, the web, and other resources.  You will want to develop a resume and portfolio to provide to firms.

Wishing you the best!

1 comment:

Architecture Jobs in Chennai said...

Great thoughts you got there, believe I may possibly try just some of it throughout my daily life.