Monday, January 3, 2011

Summer Programs - Worth it?

For my portfolio, I will be including my sophomore design work as well as many freehand figure drawings, color field paintings, and hopefully, I will be attending Columbia's Intro to Arch, from which I could use things to place in my portfolio. Which actually leads me to question. Is the Intro to Arch program worth it for students who already have 2+ years experience? I went through all the design fundamentals and learned a good deal, so I was just wondering if it would be worth it to me as far as the range of students go. Are there students who attend the program who hold bachelors in architecture or anything of that nature?
________

Given that you have 2+ semesters of design studio experience, I do not think it is essential that you seek out an experience such as Columbia's. It is expensive, but it may be helpful in developing materials for your portfolio and a letter of recommendation.

You would need to be in touch with Columbia to know who attends their program but most of them I would imagine are like you in that they have an undergraduate degree in another discipline but with little or no design experience.

I hope this helps!

Dr. Architecture

No comments: