Sunday, January 23, 2011

High School Preparation


I dream of studying architecture, however I do not have a plan to prepare myself for college while I am in high school.  Besides reading the recommended publications and taking a summer school program, how should I prepare for a career in architecture? Is there something that you think is important to take while I am in high school that would give me an advantage when it is time to apply for college?  I am currently a sophomore at St. Francis Central Coast Catholic High School in Watsonville, California and am wondering if you know of any programs in the Bay Area with local architects that I could get involved in.

Thank you for your time.  I look forward to your response!
_____

The best resources to answer your question is Chapter Two of Becoming an Architect, 2nd Edition; it highlights academic coursework, exploration, visits, summer and after school programs.  Also, below are some specific programs in San Francisco to research.

Architectural Foundation of SF - http://www.afsf.org/afsf_programs.htm
AIA San Francisco - http://www.aiasf.org/

Finally, check out the handful of architecture programs in the Bay area – UC-Berkeley and California College of the Arts.

Best - feel free to contact me with more questions.

Dr. Architecture

No comments: