Saturday, January 29, 2011

Career Change - Business to Architecture


I recently read your book and I have to say that is a great material for anyone pursuing a career in Architecture.  I'm writing you since i'm thinking of making a career change from bachelor in business administration to Architecture and I have a few questions:

I just turned 25 am I too old for starting a career in Architecture?

Do I need a degree in architecture to get into the March program? If no, is this better than doing an undergraduate program in architecture (barch)?  Do you think that my actual degree helps or has anything to do with architecture or did I waste my time?
________

At 25, you are certainly not too old.  Philip Johnson, one of the 20th century greatest architects did not become licensed until he was 39 years old.

To pursue the Master of Architecture, you do need an undergraduate degree.  You may either pursue an undergraduate degree in any discipline to pursue the Master of Architecture (3-4 years) or pursue a pre-professional degree in architectural studies and afterwards pursue a Master of Architecture (2 years).  Deciding to switch from business depends on how far along you are with your business degree.

Given that architecture is a business, I truly think a degree in business would be helpful during your professional career.

Dr. Architecture

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I too am in the same boat but I'm a little more involved in my career and am older. I'm 30 and have both a BA in Economics and a MS in Finance/Business. I've been working in the financial markets for 10 years but I am so tired of it and really can't stand my job! I'm not passionate about it. In high school I loved art and architecture. I took art, design and photography classes. I've traveled around the world and have always focused on the art and architecture of different places. My photo albums of my European and South American trips focus on the architecture and design of the places. This is what interests me and makes me happy. But would giving up all this studying and effort of an older career and pursuing an M.Arch I at 30 or 32 (I would graduate at approx. 35 years old) be too old???

Automotive Recruitment said...

We are amazed at how many job candidates we get who are looking for a career change in their late 30s to early 50s.

Julie said...

I agree 100% with the answers. You are not too old, you have more experience and that will make you a better student. Last year I decided I wanted to study medicine in Argentina.. I got an apartment rental in Buenos Aires and headed there wheI was 30 years old. It is very common there to see older students in universities. I felt really comfortable!
Jules