Monday, November 22, 2010

Seeking Employment - Frustration

Dear Dr. Architecture, I am a 23 year old who just recently graduated from a University with my Masters Degree. Unfortunately I attained my degree in Architecture. Which I guess is one of the worst degrees to have in this economy. I have applied for numerous jobs, but I have not received any responses. Most of the jobs require experience(2-5 years). I cannot become a licensed architect unless I am employed as an architect or intern. Currently, I am working a part time job that does not require a degree, and I have moved back home to California. Do you have any suggestions for me, should I go back to school, is there a better state to find an architect job? I am getting really frustrated, any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.
________

Certainly, the profession of architecture has suffered greatly during this economic time, but I would disagree with your statement -- "one of the worst degree ..." I would say the exact opposite.

Someone who has a degree in architecture is probably best equipped for job searching because of a degree in architecture is the best liberal arts degree -- it teaches one to problem solve creatively. Granted, you have been unable to secure employment but perhaps you need to broaden your search and truly analyze the skills you can offer a prospective employer.

I understand that such an approach may postpone your officially becoming an architect but did you know that you can still gain some experience in IDP although not employed.

First, one resource to read is What Color is Your Parachute by Richard Bolles (http://www.jobhuntersbible.com/). It is a book to do, not just read. Also, become connected with the AIA in California; depending on when you graduated, you may still be eligible for free membership (http://www.aia.org/about/memberservices/AIAS077102). More specifically, connect with other emerging professionals through programs offered by the AIA. Some chapters have networking programs and support groups for those seeking employment.

Network! Volunteer! Spend eight hours a day seeking! As mentioned before, expand your employer base; what skills do you have to offer a prospective employer and who are those employers that can use your set of skills.

Do not give up! The profession of architecture will need you when the economy recovers.

Dr. Architecture

No comments: