Saturday, November 27, 2010

Architecture - Career Decision

I am interested in architecture and I just finished high school this year and graduated with science subjects,physics, chemistry, mathematics and English in my home country Tanzania, out of the six options of courses I was asked to choose, I later was chosen to do computer science... is computer science related to architecture? Can i just pursue that degree then do architecture later? Or will I have lost a lot of time by then? And what will be the major requirements since I don't have a portfolio of work....Another thing is that I have an opportunity to study a foundational course in the UK at Sheffield Int. College which will direct me to Structural engineering and architectural studies. What is the difference between this and architecture itself?

My great desire is to be an architect. I just need to know what path I ought to take so that I won't waste time and later regret
_________

First understand that my expertise is in becoming an architect in the United States. With that said, I would suggest to you that computer science is not related to architecture. In the US, you could certainly pursue architecture (Master of Architecture) after you received a degree in computer science. It would certainly take you longer.

To apply to a Master of Architecture degree, you will definitely need a portfolio of creative work. If possible, take courses in art, freehand drawing to produce materials for your portfolio.

Below are definitions of the two terms.

Structural engineering is a field of engineering dealing with the analysis and design of structures that support or resist loads. Structural engineering is usually considered a specialty within civil engineering, but it can also be studied in its own right.

Architecture is the art and science of designing and erecting buildings and other physical structure

In summary, if your passion is architecture, you may wish to consider studying it as soon as you are able. I wish you the best.

Dr. Architecture

No comments: