Saturday, February 27, 2010

MArch in another Country

I graduated in May 2009 from a top-notch undergraduate program with a BA in Architecture. I'm taking a year or two off to polish my porfolio, take a break from the all-nighters, and travel a bit. I've been considering getting my MArch in another country, perhaps in Spain or Italy, mostly because the programs are less than a tenth of the price, and I'm worried about student loans and then earning very little for a few years as an intern.

Wit that said, how are over-the-seas MArch programs seen in the US? I know that the EESA-NAAB does allow you to then get lisenced in the US if you meet their requirements, but given that you meet the requirements, how do MArch's in top universities in the EU compare to the education that one receives getting an MArch in the States at a top program? Are the programs here in the US really that much better that it's worth spending the money? Would employers in the US still be interested in hiring me and consider me to be a valuable asset?
________

First, congrats for graduating with the BA in Architecture; I also applaud your decision to take time off to better prepare for your graduate studies.

As to your question, I truly do not know. My guess is that ultimately, potential employers will want to see your portfolio upon graduation from your Master of Architecture and not worry so much about where you went to school. Oddly enough, they may be more interested in you because of your international education especially if the firm does international work. You may also find that you decide to work internationally and your graduate studies would be an advantage.

Unfortunately, I cannot adequately address how international programs compare to those in the U.S. I can share that NAAB is working with their counterparts in many other countries. If you do study abroad, I would be sure that the program is well received in that country. For more details, refer to the following:

http://www.canberraaccord.org/

Dr. Architecture

No comments: