Saturday, March 3, 2012

Summer Program - Aptitude for Architecture?

I've been searching for a program where I could try my hand at architecture and determine if I have any talent for the filed. After exploring your blog, I came across three options that would give me exactly what I need. Berkeley, Cornell and UCLA offer short introduction to architecture courses.

They seem like wonderful opportunities. But I must say, they are a bit expensive, especially for a foreign student. (I am Canadian.) Do you have any suggestions for similar courses- courses where I could build a strong portfolio in a short amount of time - that are available in Canada or are offered in the US or Europe and are cheaper?


Something like that - something where I could utterly immerse myself in architecture - would be ideal.


Also, is there any easy way to determine if I have an aptitude for architecture. I love aesthetics. And I like buildings. And I love writing. But I've never been someone who feels compelled to make art or design. 
_________

Thanks for contacting me, but I am not sure I can be of any assistance.  Each year, I compile a list of summer architecture programs available on http://www.archcareers.org.  Aside from the three options that you list, I would suggest you review the full list to see if there are any others - try Univ. of Washington.

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with any such programs in either Canada or other countries.  You may wish to contact architecture programs directly to determine if they have a program.


Aside from summer programs, you may wish to take a course (freehand drawing/art or design) at an university.  If one is not nearby, you can immerse yourself in the discipline by reading, sketching, and seeing architecture.  Granted, you will not have faculty instruction, but it is a start.

There is no test that can accurately determine if you are well-suited for architecture or not but I do believe it is an education that prepares you for a number of career fields that require creative problem solvers.


If possible, try to shadow an architect to learn more.

Dr. Architecture

No comments: