Thursday, March 1, 2012

EESA - Foreign Architect

My question is simple, I am confused about the specific functions of the NAAB, NCARB, EESA, related to becoming an Architect, the NAAB says it is "a non profit" and  "is the sole agency authorized to accredit US professional degree programs in architecture ", but there is a fee of near 1900 for an evaluation, also there is the  "EESA-NCARB program", which mixes the two, oh! there is another mix " The NAAB has recently established maintenance and reinstatement fees for EESA "

So, to make short, can you please tell me what is the process to become an architect classified by stages, and which organization commands each stage?

Thank you in advance for your help, and patience. And if it helps, I am an Architect in my country, but as a legal resident in the United States of America, I want to live here and have my credentials working.

Having worked at NAAB, I can provide you some insight on the EESA process.  NAAB is under contract with NCARB to run EESA.  Just because NAAB is a non-profit does not mean that they do not collect fees.

In the U.S., the architectural profession is represented by the following:

American Institute of Architects (AIA) – Professional organization for licensed and non-licensed architects;
National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB) – Organization which administers IDP and the ARE;
American Institute of Architecture Students (AIAS) – Independent, student-run organization representing students of architecture;
Association of Collegiate Schools of Architecture (ACSA) – Works to advance the quality of architectural education
National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB) – Agency that accredits schools of architecture.

Each one has a role in the process of becoming an architect.  As you are an architect in another country, I would suggest you work with NCARB to become licensed in the U.S.  Review the following:

How long have you been an architect?  Read the materials to learn more.


No comments: