Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Biochemistry to Architecture

I am a recent graduate from UC San Diego, with a BS in Biochemistry. Recently, I have decided to pursue a different career path, and I am very interested in Architecture. I did some research and realized that it is a possibility even with my background, but I have a couple of questions I want to clarify before I try to pursue something that may seem impossible.

1. With my unique background, what would it take for me to get accepted/ even considered for accredited MArch programs within the United States and ultimately become a licensed architect?

2. What is the major difference between Architecture and Architectural Engineering/ Structural engineering?
3. What kind of skills would I need to have to be a successful, practicing architect?

I appreciate any information/ resources you are able to provide me. Thank you for your time and help! 
__________

1) Given your undergraduate degree (although biochemistry), you are eligible to apply to a Master of Architecture (3-4 years) at any one of many institutions that offer the degree.  Visit -- http://www.naab.org or http://www.archschools.org for a list of programs to consider.

2) Architecture is more about the design of buildings; architectural engineering is more about civil engineering with an emphasis on building.
 

3) As for skills, there are many important skills to have as an architect; drawing, sketching, designing, teamwork, collaboration, problem solving, etc.

One resource to review is Becoming an Architect, 2nd Edition.


I hope this helps!

No comments: