Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Becoming an Architect with Foreign Education

Hello Dr. Architecture, I would like to get more information on the steps needed to be taken to work in the U.S. [my husband is an Architect who studied abroad (University of Buenos Aires - Argentina)]. He has extensive experience in the field and would like to know what information he needs to provide to revalidate his Architecture degree. Thank you.

First, your best source to learn the requirements of becoming an architect in the U.S. is NCARB - National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (www.ncarb.org). They have links to the state registration boards as an individual must ultimately be licensed by U.S. jurisdiction.

They do have a program, Broadly Experienced Foreign Architect (BEFA) that is a multi-step process to assist foreign architects with experience to become licensed.

Also, individuals may have to have their foreign education evaluated by EESA - Education Evaluation Services for Architects as part of the process.

Dr. Architecture

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for asking this, I was wondering the same thing. And thanks for the answer, also.

So your husband is an Argentinian Architect? Tell him I love the Buenos Aires apartments style. Last year I visited the city and I was really surprised about the architecture of the buildings there

THanks again for sharing this blog