Thursday, July 22, 2010

Career Question

I just have a couple questions and this seemed like a good website to stumble upon.

About 5 years ago I graduated from the Art Institute of Pittsburgh with a Certificate in Residentail design adn planning -- I realized that this wasn't what I wanted to do with my life, however, I liked the general feild.

I've had jobs in kitchen design and currently I am working for a granite fabricator processsing drawings and problem solving. I enjoy CAD alot and would love to also venture into REVIT as well.

I am currently attending a local community college and continue a career in Architecture Drafting and Design. I love it so far but am still unsure where this will get me and what the next step will be.

I really think that I would love a career in Commercial Development creating and modeifing drawings if not working as a project manager. I, however, do not know what steps need to be made in order to get where I would like to be.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

______

My expertise is in the process of becoming an architect; I am not sure what you mean when you refer to a career in Commercial Development. You speak of "creating and modeling drawings." If you desire is to use these skills, you do not need to become an architect, but rather continue to develop those skills and market them to prospective employers. The fact that you know CAD and desire to learn REVIT will help as well.

As for the next step from your community college, you have to decide what you want. You may certainly enter the work force, but you could also choose to pursue additional education to either become an architect or other related disciplines.

I would suggest you be in touch with faculty and the career center of your community college to explore your options. I can only suggest you look long term.

Best. Feel free to contact me with further questions if desired.

Dr. Architecture

No comments: