Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Architecture Later in Life.

I have a question about pursuing architecture later in life.

I am 25 and I have an undergraduate degree in Anthropology. I've never taken any design courses in school and my math background is weak.

I have become interested in architecture since building wooden boats with my father. I found the process of drafting boat plans eminently satisfying and I have found the math less intimidating than I ever thought. So, I want to evaluate my prospects in design fields.

I was hoping you might be able to share with me some advice. I understand many NAAB schools offer three year MArchs to people with non-architectural degrees but I still lack the basic pre-reqs like physics: mechanics or calculus. Do any schools offer a one year 'make up' program or provisional acceptance? Or would I have to start at square one with a five year undergraduate degree? Am I hopelessly behind?
_________

Congrats on your interest in pursuing the career of architect. You are NOT behind!

As you note, you are well-suited to pursue the accredited Master of Architecture at any number of architecture programs given your previous degree in anthropology.

You are correct in that most graduate programs do require calculus, physics and some may require a freehand drawing. If you do not have these, you will need to complete prior to enrollment. The most effective way to fulfill these requirements is to attend an area community college.

To learn more about the entire process, visit http://archcareers.blogspot.com/; to learn about programs, visit www.naab.org and/or www.archschools.org. Finally, obtain Becoming an Architect, 2nd edition available from Amazon.

As well, I am available for consulting via phone. Do let me know and I wish you the best.

Dr. Architecture

No comments: