Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Graphic Design to Architecture

I am on the mild side of a dilemma. I graduated with a B.S. In Graphic Design in 2008. I currently work for a large technology company as a graphic/web designer. In my profession some would say I'm well on my way in this career. Now the dilemma. Ive always been attracted to architecture. My dad was a master carpenter and I have always been around construction. I want to obtain a professional skill that i can use to help people. The question is will i be ill served if i go back for a M.Arch.? Will my undergrad in design help or hurt me? I make 45k now, what can i expect as an architect?
Thanks so much for your help.
____________

If you wish to become an architect, you must pursue the Master of Architecture to fulfill the education requirement. Clearly, as your background is in a design related discipline, it is a plus; you will be able to use your graphic design work for your portfolio.

As for salaries -- http://www.architectmagazine.com/compensation/less--the-new-more.aspx - here is one recent survey. Given your background and the Master of Architecture, you could expect to earn between 40 - 55K depending on where you were located.

Dr. Architecture

1 comment:

ewilliams said...

I am also considering a M.Arch program this fall. The comments on this salary survey are certainly very discouraging! I hope that the prospects for an intern improve soon.