Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Bachelors or Masters?

I'm looking to go into a career in Architecture, and I just had a quick question.

I've done a lot of research about schools and programs, and I have a pretty good idea of what I'm looking for, but I'm kind of confused. What is the difference between a BArch and a MArch? I know both are accredited, and lead to licensure, but some schools that I'm looking at offer an ending with a MArch, others end with a BArch. Is there a benefit to one or the other? Does it matter which one I end up with?

I just want to make the best choices possible when it comes to schooling.
________

As long as the degree you select is accredited by NAAB, it does not matter which you choose. However, there are differences --
Typically, students who are very confident on their career choice of architecture pursue the BArch as this degree starts with studio and hands-on activities immediately upon entry. It is also the shortest duration - five years.
The 4+2 BS + MArch path provides a broader education and flexibility. Students can take time off after their four year degree to work before pursuing the Master degree. You can also pursue your education at two different institutions.
I would suggest researching both degree types and ask students who are in them for their opinions and reasons for choosing the degree they did.
Remember, there is no wrong decision simply an uninformed one. The more research you do, the better your decision will be.

Dr. Architecture

No comments: