Friday, May 22, 2009

Becoming an Architect

I am 37 and a resident of California. I have an undergrad degree in Liberal Studies. I'd like to pursue a career in architecture. Do I have to get a degree in architecture or can I start as an intern and work my way up and eventually get certified? What would be your recommended course of action? I'd like to avoid school if possible.
__________

In general terms, it is very difficult to become a licensed architect without first obtaining a NAAB accredited degree in architecture (www.naab.org). However, very few states will allow an individual to become registered with either a preprofessional degree in architecture or a high school diploma, but the experience required would be increased.
As it turns out, California is one of those states. With only a high school diploma, a candidate would need 8 years of acceptable experience. For more details, contact the state board in California or the following:
While it is possible for you to pursue licensure without any additional schooling in California, I would NOT recommend it. First, you will find it extremely difficult to secure an intern position with no background in architecture. Next, as most states and NCARB require a NAAB degree for licensure, you will be limited to practice only in California.
I recognize that you wish to avoid school, but architecture is a very technical field. As such, you have much to learn both in the classroom and working within a firm.

Dr. Architecture

No comments: