Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Becoming an Architect - International Degree

I moved newly to USA-TX by the international organization for migration. I have B.Sc. in architecture and M.Sc. in urban planning from Baghdad university in Iraq. How can I qualify my transcripts and an authorization to work as an architect? Please can I get some information about the procedure. I found many wbsites and I do not know from where to start.

If your desire is to become a licensed architect in the United States, you must contact NCARB -- -- In particular, you will want to visit the following link of which the text is listed below:

There is no reciprocal registration between foreign countries and the U.S. (with the exception of Canada). You cannot practice architecture in a U.S. jurisdiction without acquiring a license to practice in that jurisdiction. Each of the 50 states, the District of Columbia, Guam, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands has an architectural registration board which regulates the profession in their jurisdiction.

To become a registered architect in a U.S. jurisdiction, you must first comply with that jurisdiction’s education, training and examination requirements. Recognize that not all jurisdictions have adopted NCARB's education and training standards. All questions regarding your eligibility must be directed to your jurisdiction’s registration board. For the contact information for each board, see jurisdictional board.

Many registration boards require applicants to have a professional degree from a program accredited by the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB). Foreign-educated individuals, who do not hold such a degree, may be directed to have all of their post-secondary education evaluated by NAAB. NAAB performs the Education Evaluation Services for Architects (EESA). Applications for the "EESA-NCARB" evaluation must be requested from:

National Architectural Accrediting Board Inc. (NAAB)
1735 New York Avenue, NW, 3rd Floor
Washington, DC 20006
(202) 783-2007

Fees for this service will be billed to you directly by NAAB which is a private organization, not affiliated with any architectural registration board

Most NCARB member boards have adopted the training requirements established for the Intern Development Program (IDP). In the IDP, training is measured in training units; one training unit equals 8 hours of acceptable experience. To satisfy the IDP requirements you must earn a total of at least 700 training units, with prescribed subtotals in various training areas. The maximum credit allowed for foreign experience in architecture is 235 training units if under the supervision of an architect not registered in the U.S. or Canada.

Five years of full-time, verified foreign experience as a principal in an organization whose architectural practice encompasses the comprehensive practice of architecture is an alternative to the IDP Training Requirement, which may be recognized by the jurisdiction(s) where you seek registration.

Every NCARB member board requires interns to pass NCARB's Architect Registration Examination (ARE). Those who practice architecture outside of the U.S. Or Canada must also pass the ARE to qualify for registration in the U.S. For further information, see ARE.

If you have any questions, please contact NCARB Customer Service.


bathmate said...

I liked it.

ana said...

Great subject. I have been playing around with the idea of the comment structure recently.

earn degree

arkansas said...

Thanks for the post. Helped me plan for my career path.

Unknown said...

Very useful post on international architecture degree. A brief note on the institutions even! The list of institutions and their curriculum has been given. very handy post indeed!
architecture program