Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Questions on pursuing Master of Architecture

Hello sir , I am from India. I have read your suggestions  in architecture  career thought to contact you personally to learn  more. I have  completed my bachelor of engineering (chemical engineering) in India in 2012. Now I am 27. I want to pursue master of architecture because I would like to learn and I want to make my career in this.  Can you please tell me what is the  process to get an admission in the school? Will I be a licensed architect after completing Master program? What is portfolio designing? I have no basics in architecture. Will that become a problem?
_________

Thanks for contacting me and your question.
First, I must share that my expertise is in the process of becoming an architect in the U.S. 
To learn the process of admission, I will suggest you review the websites of graduate programs in architecture and consider contacting them directly for more details.
A great website to review graduate programs in the U.S. and Canada is -- http://studyarchitecture.com/
In its simplest terms, you will need to submit the following (may vary by program).
Statement of Purpose
Portfolio
Transcripts
Three letters of recommendation
GRE (if required)
TOEFL (for international applicants)
In the U.S. the licensure of architects is maintained by the individuals states/jurisdictions; for most states, an individual seeking licensure must meet the requirements of 1) education, 2) experience (AXP), and 3) examination (ARE).  Thus, you are NOT a licensed architect upon completion of your graduate program.
As for portfolio design, again, contact the graduate programs for insights.  Plus, you may wish to review the following website.

http://portfoliodesign.com/
Remember, your portfolio does NOT need to be architecturally focused as your background is NOT in architecture.  It needs to be more about creativity -- artwork.
Thanks! 

Dr. Architecture

No comments: