Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Becoming licensed in the U.S.

I am an Architect ,completed my B. Arch from India in 1993, registered in Council of Architecture and Indian institute of Architecture. I have been working from 1994 in India and from 2008 I have been working in USA based firms who have offices in India. I am a LEED AP from USGBC also.
I was  staying in USA for 2 years 2011 and 2012 and was working as an Intern for 4 months in an architectural firm. Then I came back to India and working in a USA based firm , but again going back to USA (Connecticut) this year. Please advise me how to go for licensing. All these years of working will count for IDP hours or not?

Thanks and Regards

The best resource for you is NCARB ( if you wish to learn about the process of becoming licensed in the U.S.

I am not the expert, but they have a program calledn BEFA - Broadly Experienced Foreign Architect --

The above website outlines the process.

As for your question related to IDP.  Your work in these firms will NOT count towards IDP unless you had already applied for a NCARB Council Record and tracked your IDP.  IDP has a six month rule -- you must record your work experience at least once every six months.

Again, visit NCARB for details on IDP.

I do hope all this helps in becoming licensed in the U.S.

No comments: