Monday, August 2, 2010

New Career in Architecture

I am currently working in the offshore oil and gas field in Louisiana as an automation engineer. I have a bachelors in electrical engineering from the University of New Orleans, but I have always been interested in pursuing a career in Architecture. With the current state of the Gulf of Mexico and the oil and gas industry in general, I am considering steps toward a career change. The biggest issue is that I am 34 and have a house and family to support. Are there programs through accredited universities or colleges that offer online classes in architecture? I would imagine that credits from my current degree would transfer and I would have to physically be present in some situations, but I'm trying to see whats available and looking for a path forward. I appreciate any help or advice you could give.
___________

To become an architect, you need to obtain a professional accredited degree in architecture. As you have an undergraduate degree, you are eligible to pursue the accredited Master of Architecture (3-4 years). For a list, visit the following:

ARCHSchools.org -- www.archschools.org

NAAB -- www.naab.org

Unfortunately, no accredited degree can be done online. Two institutions have distance MArch, but you need to have a pre-professonal architecture degree - Boston Architectural College and Lawrence Technogical University.

Because of you family situation, you may wish to consider other careers within the building industry that do not require an architecture degree.

Dr. Architecture

No comments: