Sunday, August 23, 2009

Drafting as Preparation

I have just finished reading the ARCHcareers web site and I am very impressed with the information provided!

I am keenly interested in studying architecture. I live in Perth, Western Australia and though the system of gaining a place in college may be different to that in the States, I was wondering your opinion on one thing. I am studying a 2 year course in architectural drafting at a smaller school in order to gain placement in University afterwards. I thought the experience in the technical side of architecture would better prepare me for college. Am I wasting my time to study drafting for so long? Do you think it would be better for me to just plunge myself into an architecture course if I am certain that this is the career I want to take (which I am.)?

I do not want to waste time and money, though I am thoroughly enjoying dratfing! Any insights you may have would be greatly appreciated, no matter how brief. If anything is unclear, please feel free to e-mail me.

Thankyou for your time
______

First, I would suggest you contact the Australian Institute of Architects for additional opinions on your question via the following websites.

http://www.architecture.com.au/

http://www.architecture.com.au/i-cms?page=22

From my experience, I would not suggest you are wasting your time, but typically "drafting" is not the ideal preparation for becoming an architect. In other words, drafting is NOT the technical side of architecture. I would suggest you contact some of the schools in Australia to gain some insight from them on your next step.

Do contact me if you have any additional questions.

Dr. Architecture

No comments: