Sunday, April 26, 2009

Change major / Transfer

I am currently a sophomore at a liberal arts college in NY with an intended Bachelor's degree in Visual Arts (concentration in Architecture). The architecture classes offered here are mainly design-based with VectorWorks CAD. I feel unprepared compared to other students in colleges that offer the 5-year BArch program. I feel they would be chosen as interns over me because they learn more about architecture. This makes me doubt my future if I were to have a career in Architecture. Should I change my major? Transfer to another college? I really don't know what to do...
______

Given that you are NOT in an architecture program, it seems reasonable that students in a BArch would be selected over you for intern positions. However, do not fret.

If your desire is to become an architect, you can transfer, but you may move backwards if you transfer to a BArch. You may consider transferring to a preprofessional BS degree within an architecture program. Another option that I strongly encourage is to complete your degree in Visual Arts and pursue the 3-4 year Master of Architecture degree.

You have to decide which is the best route for you.

Also, visit www.naab.org and www.archschools.org to learn more about accredited degree programs.

Dr. Architecture

No comments: