Saturday, April 11, 2009

Biology major wishing to pursue architecture

I will a be a third year student at Eastern Michigan University in the Fall of 2009. Currently I am majoring in Biology, but recently I have decided to pursue a career in architecture. I am totally lost as what I should so and where I should start. There is so much information and different types of architecture degrees and many ways of going about earning them that I don't even know where to begin. I was thinking about changing my major to engineering or maybe major in Computer Aid Design. What I'm basically trying to ask is what is the best route to take. Would it be okay to major in CAD with maybe an art minor and then go on to graduate school and get my MArch or is there a better way of doing this? Thank you for taking the time to read this and for all your help :)
_______

Given that you will be a third year student, I highly suggest you finish your degree in biology and pursue a Master of Architecture (3-4 years) for individuals with a degree in a discipline other than architecture. Of course, this assumes that you still have an interest in biology and can complete the degree. At minimum, you should ensure that you have calculus, physics, and a freehand drawing course to best prepare for your graduate studies.

Or you could change majors which may postpone your graduation, but I would not change to CAD. Perhaps, interior design or product design which would be helpful in the concept of DESIGN. A minor in ART would also be helpful, but not CAD.

I would begin the research of possible MArch programs; in fact, visit UMichigan to see architecture firsthand. Talk to students, meet with faculty, etc.

Visit -- www.naab.org -- and -- www.archschool.org -- for a list of accredited programs.

Dr. Architecture

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Check out biorock and wolf hilbertz if you haven't already!!!

Unknown said...

So do I, I want to be an architect after I had done my bachelor in biology. ahahaha in my country its like a joke. then I still wanted chasing my dream.