Sunday, June 27, 2010

Political Science to Architecture

I am about to embark on my 4th and final year as a political science major at the University of Arizona. After much reflection, I am at a crossroads. While I have an interest in political science, I have a passion for construction, design, and architecture. Growing up, I have fond memories of my twin brother and I helping my father navigate through countless construction projects; house renovations, house reconstruction (after a fire) office building improvements and construction. Looking back on all of this, I find myself questioning whether to finish off my political science degree or to try and get into an architecture program. I was wondering if you could send me some information regarding the process and prospect of starting an architectural course of study now, and where it might take me in the future.

Cheers,
_________

As you are very close to graduation, your best approach to becoming an architect is to complete your undergraduate degree and pursue the Master of Architecture (3-4 years) that many institutions offer for those individuals with a degree in another discipline. If you try to transfer to an architecture program, it will actually take you longer.

Of course, you should begin to research architecture programs now -- via two sites -- www.naab.org or www.archschools.org --.

As all programs will require a portfolio, you would be encouraged to take an art course (freehand drawing, life drawing) to generate materials for your portfolio.

Also, a great resource is Becoming an Architect, 2nd edition available from Amazon.com. As well, I encourage you to review my blog as it includes questions from other individuals.

No comments: